Wednesday 8 October 2008

Celebrating 1000

I am celebrating one thousand unique visitors to Sportz Insight today, within one month of starting this blog. I truly thought it would just be a place to share some private thoughts with some close friends. Now I do wish the comments section was used more so this blog became more interactive. It does encourage the writer to keep going.

The surprise for me has been that often the story written looks nothing like the one started. Interestingly, that especially seems to be the case for the five most popular stories so far (measured by hits, ratings and links). Here are links to the most popular stories for those who just discovered this blog:

1. Nawakille: A Squash Town You've Never Heard Of
I wanted to write about Jahangir Khan, and in the process discovered that Jansher Khan was from the same village...

2. The Haka
The consummate Kiwi Patrick Mullins urged me to write on Rugby, and I know absolutely nothing about Rugby, so after three discarded drafts, this was the best I could do...

3. Money Can't Buy You Love- But Gold Medals is Another Matter
I wanted to write about foreign players in the premiership, and then got diverted in my research...

4. Fiercest Rivalries in Sport
Spurs vs. Arsenal was the topic when I started. Two days later, the rivalry didn't even make the cut...

5. The 5 Most Memorable Ads on TV
The Nike cricket Ad never made the cut...

5. Why Athletes Find it Difficult to Stay Retired
I wanted to bemoan Lance Armstrong's return, and then figured he's not that different to other greats...

Thanks for reading.
Faisal

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Faisal,

I have just spent a few hours catching up on all your posts. I'm hooked!

Keep writing, and we'll keep reading and commenting.

Anonymous said...

Hi Faisal,
I am Sunir's (Raja) cousin and he recommended your blog last month we were out for dinner. I too am an avid watcher and folllower of sports and your blog is excellent. I particularly like the use of stats to back up your arguments. A quick thought for you. On your top 10 sportsmen just interested to know why Federer was omitted. Is it because his career is not yet over and you are waiting for some years to pass (and possibly for Sampras's all time record to be surpassed) before making a final judgment?

In any case, really enjoy lunchtimes now!

Regards
Rushabh

Faisal Irfan Mian said...

Thanks for reading and commenting. Rushab, Federer is active but so is Woods (no.2 on the list), but distance between him and Sampras (all time) and Nadal (currently) is not much. Everyone on the list put clear daylight between themselves and the no.2 in their sport.

But it is an evolving list and one day soon I'll update it. I've left out Frankie Dettori, Maradona, Fangio, Redgrave, Gretzky, Montana/Rice, etc. The correct way of doing this is probably to figure out the top in each sport (arguably) and then assemble the top across sports.